Sunday, January 1, 2012

Nutrition Overhaul

They say when you set a goal, one of the things you are supposed to do it be public about it.  It's harder to fail if you tell people about it instead of keeping it to yourself.

Well....  I want to lose some weight.  No surprise, it's New Year's Day, I'm approaching 50, I love to cook, eat and drink.  I don't exercise.  Duh!  No brainer, and I'm hardly unique.

But it's a little bit more complicated than that.  This isn't just a "smoothie for breakfast, salad for lunch, and avoid the pasta at dinner" kind of diet.  It's more along the lines of helping my body age more gracefully.  Transitioning my palate and cooking habits to the "less meat, more fiber" a woman of my *cough* advanced years should have.

And, it's even more complicated than THAT.  I have kids.  Very active kids.  Growing kids that train hard and have some pretty hefty nutritional requirements that don't necessarily jive with the requirements of the lady that does their cooking.

So.  I'm putting it out there to the Universe.

Yes, the challenge is to lose weight.  But more than that, the challenge is to make changes and learn something.  And not just me - the kids too.  If Aidan had his choice, he'd exist on tortillini, cream sauce and garlic bread.  Bridget would exist on mashed potatoes.  None of which is good for Ray and I.  If Ray had his choice, it would be something a little more exotic than the usual "kid-friendly" fare I mindlessly sling to the table each evening.  And if I had my way, there would be a lot more vegetables and nobody would grumble about it.



So.  Here we go.  A new Food Adventure for me where I attempt to keep everyone happy.  Dinners that give Ray and I plenty of flavor but also meet the caloric requirements of the kids.  More vegetables for everyone, new sources of protein like legumes and quinoa.  And acceptance of the notion that what once may have been considered a side dish now serves as an entire meal.

Change is hard.  I only hope that I can stand the grumbling of my table mates.

2 comments:

Janeen said...

Good luck Pam! A very impressive resolution for 2012. Please post tips/recipes you learn along the way. So many of us in the same boat!! Happy New Year, friend!

Papa said...

We must be related!